SEO Keywords are used to rank well in Google and capture organic traffic for targeted search terms.
- Set it and forget it
- Consistent, long term, highly targeted traffic
- Can be very low cost
- Can take a long time
- Not a guaranteed success
- Easy to misjudge keywords without proper tools
What makes a Good SEO Keyword:
- Low Competition
- Very relevant to your niche
- At least some search volume (doesn’t need much)
- Any trends in SERP are also true for your site (e.g SERPS show lots of ecommerce sites)
- Easy to write an article about it
Viral Keywords (More Titles than Keywords) are used to create social engagement, build authority and generate large amounts of traffic from major
Social media platforms like Facebook, Tumblr and Pinterest.
- Traffic can be extremely good
- Builds lots of authority
- Can lead to great opportunities and relationships
- An element of luck
- May have to pay to play on Facebook
- Traffic can be difficult to monetize, especially if you are not capturing emails
What makes a good Viral Keyword:
- Think of these as titles, not keywords (because that’s what they are)
- Highly Emotional
- Optimal Character Count: 55
- Optimal Word Count: 6
- Good grammatical structure
- Contains an even mix of common, uncommon, emotional and power keywords
- Impact words at the beginning and end of the keyword
- One of these “types”: list, how to question
Tool for measuring Viral Potential:
Example of Great Title/Keyword:
- Type: How to
- Characters: 46
- Words: 9
- Common Words: “how”.”if”,”is”,”to”,”your”
- Uncommon words: Baby
- Emotional Words: how to,is,to
- Power Word: Brilliant
LTK Example: How to tell if your baby is Actually Brilliant
These are the keywords that demonstrate clear buying intent. They can be used to target visitors farther along in the buying process.
- Highly Targeted
- Typically converts well, really well
- Can be very low competition
- Can be low volume
- Can also be high competition in competitive markets
- Might be competing with big brands
- Might be strong SERP lean
What Makes a good buying keyword?
- Low competition
- Strong buying footprint
- Best ….
- …for sale (eCommerce only)
- Where to buy….
- Buy…. (ecommerce only)
Buy Now Keywords:
Here are words that tend to be part of Buy Now Keywords:
Product Keywords are searches that focus on a specific product category, brand name, or service. People searching for Product Keywords tend to be
a bit earlier in the buying cycle than people using Buy Now Keywords.
Product Keywords tend to include:
- Top 10
- Specific brand name (“Nike” or “Toshiba”)
- Specific product (“MacBook Pro” or “Samsung Galaxy”)
- Product category (“WordPress hosting” or “tennis shoes”)
The vast majority of keywords online are Informational Keywords. As you might imagine, people looking for information don’t tend to convert especially well.
Information Keywords tend to include words like:
- How to
- Best way to
- Ways to
- I need to
Tier Kicker Keywords:
Tire Kicker Keywords are searches that are VERY unlikely to convert now…
or in the near future.
Here are a few examples words that tend to make up Tire Kicker Keywords:
- …for free
The keywords which are used to give information or knowledge to users. These are searches in which the user is looking for something that they want to learn or get educated about.
How to, lessons, training, benefits, what is, ways, does, why, when, recipes
These are certain keywords modifiers that indicate problems or pain that the searches are trying to solve. These usually lead to higher conversion than
Curse, Stop, Prevent, Fast, Fix, Get Rid of, Treat, Clear, banish
- How to learn guitar, online guitar lessons
- Benefits of coconut oil, does coconut oil help with acne
- How to cure acne fast, how to get rid of acne
- how to do keyword research
Important things to know about Informational Keywords:
- Usually visitors coming from these terms take longer time and multiple touch points to convert into affiliate sales or customers.
- These keywords are usually targeted in our top of the funnel content to attract broad traffic which can be funneled down into higher conversion pages
- They are best used as ideas for creating high quality educational content that attracts backlinks and traffic
Those keywords which are used to go to the specific site or to a location. These are the searches in which the user is looking for a specific website or brand that is popular.
Brand name, founder/author name, URL, etc.
- Cloud Living, cloudliving.com
- AMZ Affiliate Bootcamp
- Tung Tran
- Facebook Sign in
- Minir-e-Pakistan to Hafiz Center
Important things to know about Navigational Keywords:
- These terms alone usually have unclear intent
- Are not usually good targets
- There are exceptions. If they are searching for ” brand name + product type keyword ” it shows very clear intent and would give higher conversion
- Example: Nike Running Shoes
“Which one is Right for me” Keywords
These are the searches in which the user already knows what they want to buy, but they are just looking for the best option
Best, Reviews, Compare, Recommended, Review, Comparison, Top Rated, Does Something Work, Top 10, Vs
- Best Noise Cancelling Headphone, Noise Cancelling Headphone Reviews
- Canon T3 Review
- Canon T3 vs Canon T3i
Important things to know about Commercial Keywords:
- These Keywords show clear user’s buying intent and have high conversion
- They are also what we are mainly targeting as Amazon Affiliates
- The types of content that work very well for these are product roundups and individual product reviews.
Main criteria for a Good Keyword:
- Average monthly searches
- Suggested Bid
- AdWords Competition
- Serp Competition